In the book Law of Success by Napoleon Hill, (and also Think and Grow Rich) the author lists 6 steps to success. I added step 7 and 8 to his 6 steps. Over many years, Hill studied hundreds of people who had achieved what they considered to be success in their lives. His books still sell today, even though they were written many years ago. You can get the free ebook Law of Success here.
1. Fix in your mind the exact goal you desire. It is not sufficient merely to say, “I want success.” Be definite as to what that means to you. (There is a psychological reason for definiteness which was described in earlier posts).
2. Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the goal you desire. (There is no such thing as “something for nothing.”)
3. Establish a definite date when you intend to possess the goal you desire.
4. Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
5. Write out a clear, concise statement of what you intend to acquire, name the time limit for its acquisition, state what you intend to give in return for it, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to achieve it.
6. Read your written statement aloud, twice daily, once just before sleeping at night, and once after arising in the morning. AS YOU READ–—SEE AND FEEL AND BELIEVE YOURSELF ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE GOAL. Notice it says you must FEEL the good feelings of achieving your goal. I can’t overemphasize this point. If you don’t feel it, you probably won’t achieve your goals if the going gets really tough.
7. Jesus said more than three dozen times that faith is the key to answered prayer. Pray for your goal. Believe that you have received it, even before you see it appear in your life.
8. If the date arrives and you have not accomplished your goal, think of different ways that you can accomplish your goal. Don’t give up. Read or listen to books and lectures that motivate you to keep striving for your goal. Most people have to do this daily.
Jack Canfield tried 144 different publishing companies before finding one that agreed to publish his enormously successful “Chicken Soup for the Soul” series of books. He suggests trying five different things every day to accomplish your goals. He has sold over 155 million books in many languages.
It is important that you follow the instructions described in these steps. It is especially important that you observe, and follow the instructions in the sixth paragraph. You may complain that it is impossible for you to “see yourself in possession of a goal” before you actually have it. Here is where a BURNING DESIRE will come to your aid. If you truly DESIRE something so keenly that your desire is an obsession, you will have no difficulty in convincing yourself that you will acquire it. It is critically important that you are clear about what you want, and to become so determined to have it that you CONVINCE yourself you will have it.